Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Symbols of Characters in The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

I am not very far into my book right now. But, I think that I have a pretty good understanding of the type of characters in the book so far. You may not know these characters but try to relate to them as I explain their symbols.

Travis: Travis is the main character in the story. I think that a rubber band best represents Travis's personality. I feel like he is a very resilient person. Travis is the only bachelor in his group of friends and his friends' wives try to find him a perfect match so that evetually he could get married too. To me, Travis seems like that use and throw type of guy. He has been in a relationship with many girls before but none of them really impact severely. He is very resislient, he goes back to his normal life even when he has just been through a major breakup.

Laird: Laird is one of Travis's best friends. He is also in the group of best friends with Travis. I think that a clock would best represent Laird's personality. Obviously, a clock measures the amount of time and sometimes, people look at clocks in hopes that time would move faster than it already is. In the book, it states that Laird was one of the first ones to get married. "Laird had been the first to marry-he and Allison had tied the knot the summer after they graduated from Wake Forest." (pg. 14) Laird always seems like he is in a rush. At one gathering at Travis's house, Laird and Allison were the first ones to leave. Travis believed that they were the cause for everyone else to leave after them and therefore they were the so called "party poopers".

Megan: Megan was married to Joe. I think that a hair tie would best represent Megan's personality. She always tries to keep things togther. She kind of acts like the matchmaker in this book. She keeps on asking Travis about other girls and recommends him to date girls that she knows. She tries to pair a girl and Travis up but she knows that Travis still wouldn't like that.

3 comments:

  1. Alekhya,
    I have never read this book, but I really feel that by finding a symbol for each of the characters, you have allowed me to get to know them very well. If I were to go and read this book, I would know what kind of person each of these characters is without so much as reading a word out of the book. Also, I love how you used a direct quote from the novel in order to support your choice of a symbol. As always, great job on this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's interesting that each character in your book can be compared to an everyday object, and their general use can be used to display a deeper meaning in these characters. Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's wonderful how you could find symbols to represent the characters in your book. I haven't read this book, but this post has been an excellent preview to it should I ever choose to read it. Great job Alekhya!

    ReplyDelete