Monday, February 3, 2014

Nevermore by James Patterson Vocabulary

I am still in the process of reading the book, Nevermore by James Patterson. I want to dedicate this post to carefully examine the type of vocabulary that is used in this book so far. James Patterson used a great variety of vocabulary to enhance the writing and his style of writing as well. Reading this book, has definitely allowed me to recognized the different types of sentence structures that I can apply to improve my own writing as well.

For example, "The news anchor peered out at me with grave accusation. Yep, felt like a Monday." Words such as, "peered" and "accusation" definitely bring a different perspective to the story. Not only does the author use a great variety of vocabulary but he also incorporates some figurative language. He is comparing the news anchor staring out from the T.V which, makes him realize that it definitely feels like a Monday morning.

Another example, "When the image was crystal clear and the monotonous beeping had ceased, he cocked his head, listening to the talking head deliver the morning doom with unbeatable pep." The author uses words such as "monotonous". I also noticed how the author uses one word to describe something that he could have written in two or more words. How shows the readers a tip that "less is more".

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you used specific examples and quotes to show how the author uses different types of vocab and figurative language. Sounds like a good book!

    ReplyDelete