Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Kite Runner

I started reading a new book called The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I had first heard this book from a friend, who really enjoyed to plot of the story and how well the book was written overall. This book takes place in Afghanistan.
When people first hear the country name, Afghanistan. They usually think of a place where there are many wars. They also have that stereotypical mind set that if they cross the borders of Afghanistan that they might get killed and might not return back again. I wanted to read this book because, I know it would be much more different than the usual stereotypes.

According to the New York Times Book Review, "This powerful first novel tells a story of fierce cruelty and fierce yet redeeming love. Both transform the life of Amir, Khaled Hosseini's privileged young narrator, who comes of age during the last peaceful days of the monarchy, just before his country's revolution and its invasion by Russian forces. But political events, even as dramatic as the ones that are presented in The Kite Runner, are only a part of this story. In the Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini gives us a vivid  and engaging story that remind us how long his people have been struggling to triumph over the forces of violence-forces that continue to threaten them even today."

I really look forward to reading this book!

2 comments:

  1. This book does seem like a good book. I think i will add it to my list of future readings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alekhya,
    You did a really good job of referencing other sources within your blog post. I find it very interesting that this book goes against typical stereotypes associated with Afghanistan and I think that it is really important that it does. These days, so many people rely on stereotypes to describe people when in reality, stereotypes are completely wrong. Overall, this book seems very different and engaging and I will think about reading it in the future.

    ReplyDelete